October 4 is “Kanelbullens dag” in Sweden. That translates to “Cinnamon Roll Day”. The cinnamon roll is one of the most common treats when having “fika” in Sweden. Fika is about the same as “coffee break” or “tea time”. When visiting someone in Sweden, your host will almost certainly give you fika. Especially if the host is older than 50 and/or living in the country side.
The secret to making good Swedish cinnamon rolls is to stick to the recipe you find, all the way until you are about to put the fillings on the dough. Here you have to know that you must NEVER use the proportions from the recipe. The sugar and butter have to be AT LEAST doubled. If you double them you will get the slim version of the roll. If you quadruple the quantities of sugar and butter you will get a really nice cinnamon roll. Really nice means that there is a sweet toffee-like goo in the bottom of the paper cups.
So here’s a recipe. Don’t forget to multiply the sugar and butter for the filling.
150g (5 ounces) butter
5dl (2 cups) milk
50g (2 ounces) yeast for sweet doughs
1dl (1/2 cup) sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cardamon
800g (28 ounces) wheat flour
150g (5 ounces) butter (room temperature)
1dl (1/2 cup) sugar
1. Heat milk until finger warm.
2. crush yeast into a big bowl. pour the milk and stir. add the butter in pieces, sugar, salt and cardamon.
3. Add the flour, but save 1/2 dl for rolling out.
4. Work the dough heavily. 5 minutes in a machine or 10 minutes by hand, until smooth.
5. Let the dough rise covered by a cloth, for about 30 minutes.
6. Work the dough again, on a floured table. Divide the dough into four parts. Roll out each part flat (roughly about 1/2 cm thick).
7. Spread the butter over the surface of the dough. If it’s hard, just put small lumps of butter everywhere. Then sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over the butter.
8. Working carefully from the long edge, roll the dough down to the bottom edge, turing it into a long roll.
9. Cut each roll into 10 pieces and put them with the cut edge on top in cinnamon roll paper cups (or cupcake cups) on a baking pan
10 Let the rolls rise again under a cloth for about 40 minutes.
11 Brush the rolls with a stirred egg. Sprinkle some pearl sugar over the buns and bake in 225-250 degrees (celcius) for 5-10 minutes.
Oh, and one more thing. You don’t really have to use cinnamon. It’s not that tasty. Feel free to use vanilla or replace some of the sugar with vanilla sugar instead. Much nicer result.
And yes, the space level is all about putting the sugare on the cinnamon roll dough.
How to play a space level
1. Open this page on your iOS or Android device with Juicy Clouds installed.
2. Press image with the big green play button in it above (the illustration) or just press here
3. If you win, the level will be added to your space level collection.
Share this level with your friends
Are you the first one of among your friends to find this space level?
Share this level:
What is Juicy Clouds?
Juicy Clouds is match three puzzle game currently available on iOS and Android mobiles.
Read more about the game here
If you are reading this on your iOS or Android phone you can download by clicking on one of these buttons: